Thursday, June 26, 2008

puzzling

I started working when I was sixteen and i soon after began paying for all of my personal belongings, including a new car. I actually had been paying for myself for a long time. Now i work at Kroger and i work with people who are much older than i am. These older people are mostly mothers who are raising kids, paying for houses, cars, groceries, everything. And i wonder how they can support all of that with a minimum wage salary or slightly above. Its hard for me to even control all of my finances and i have a lot less stuff to pay for. Its sad sometimes and i wonder why these people go to college or find something better. College was always in my future no matter what because of my parents, but i wonder about the parents of these people and how they were raised.

1 comment:

Sonja said...

Dear Liz,

I'm glad college was always in your sights. Even though with getting a college degree, there isn't always a lot of there for everyone. But you can always fall back on it.
Plus, you're an art major! You can build your own gallery and set your own prices. That would be most niffy.
Also, I'm very proud of you! You have a job-- unlike some people. Namely me. I had a job, but like it wasn't legal. I was like 10 working at the mall posing at the owners daughter or something! Haha. I wouldn't know the feeling of working with mothers and older people. Like you said, you don't have a lot to actually buy, but these people do and they are barely making a living off of min. wage it seems.

That's our country for you?

Then again, a job is a job? I don't think you'll be working there forever, I would hope not! But it's a good start to developing a work habit and all that jazz.

Nice job, Liz! :D

-Sonja