Monday, July 14, 2008
The protean N word
I think this essay is a very serious topic and im glad it is being brought up in a safe format. I cant really tell if the author is racist or not. Sometimes it seemed like he was using the n word just to offend people. But at the same time, the author used lots of quotes and examples from the past to convey his point. The author is very smart for bringing up this topic. I believe it was a long time coming to bring this up and not leave anything out. I like the story about President Johnson how he got his point across. johnson said that when he was given the optiojn to appoint a white man or a black man to the supreme court, it was an easy choice. It was comical that he said that the only person who has heard of the white candidate was his own mother. But sime he appointed the black man, it was memorable and everybody was talking about it. I believe it was a smart move. Its true that once a black person was appointed to the Supreme Court, everyone would know. I somewhat believe racism is a part of the past, but peoples ideas are still out there. Even though there are no protests and riots in the street like we all learn from the textbooks, I can definitely sense racial tension in todays' society. For example, I brought my black friend tara to a frat party this summer, along with some of the black guys on the football team. she was so stand offish that she didnt even talk to the frat guys who were all white, she only talked to the guys from the football team. Later when i confronted her about it, she said that she felt uncomfortable because she doesnt know those guys. But at the same time i had to meet them once too, its not so bad, haha. This essay really intregued me because its hard to talk about race without taking offence, but this essay did that successfully.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment